Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Emergency Heat

We recently had a large snow and ice storm here. I thought this would be a good opportunity to share something my father-in-law taught us that we have used throughout the years to be prepared both at home and while traveling. It involves a small coffee can, rubbing alcohol and a roll of toilet paper with the cardboard center removed.








Scrunch the toilet paper roll and force it into the coffee can like this.







You can store these items for future use by putting the plastic lid back on the top. When you need some emergency warmth, simply remove the lid and pour the bottle of rubbing alcohol over the toilet paper in the can. Light it off with a match. It will provide a soft blue flame and clean warmth for hours. If you continue to add rubbing alcohol from time to time it will last a long while. However, if you let the alcohol burn off you will start to get some smoke and smell.

As I mentioned above, this is a good combination to keep handy in your car just in case you need it in an emergency.

-- Post From My iPhone

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! I have always found it interesting to learn about emergency supplies/methods like this one. Also, I am enjoying the rest of your blog as well!

    Please tell the rest of your family hello for me as well.

    Daniel Pentimone

    ReplyDelete